Saturday, February 15, 2014

Nothing but flow-ers

I had a fair amount of trouble getting into anything like a flow state this week. It's not normally so difficult: I tend to stay focused on anything repetitive or anything involving researching a topic. The former situation isn't really ideal as I don't actually like those kinds of tasks. I just have to treat them as a kind of meditative exercise to even want to do them at all. The second situation is more enjoyable. It's really nice to sit back and query the total of human knowledge about a subject, whether it's the function of a particular protein complex or the discovery of phosphorus. This is the kind of flow state I can get into at work and at home.
Unfortunately, I find it very easy to get knocked out of a flow state. The most trivial email can do it in seconds. This week presented all manner of distractions and the inclement weather became just one of them. 

No comments :

Post a Comment