Friday, September 19, 2014

flow instabilities in Felis catus

My sister forwarded me this recent issue of the Rheology Bulletin, notable for its article On the rheology of cats (starts p.16). I am no rheologist but my sister is a food scientist and the field is a bit closer to the type of material she studies. That being said, cats are not food but they are fluid. A selected quotes:
Fig. 2b gives an example of a lotus effect of Felis catus, suggesting that the substrate is superfelidaphobic. This behavior is usually distinguished from the yield stress that cats can also display, as shown in Fig. 2c, where the kitten cannot flow because it is below its yield stress, like ketchup in its bottle.
 If you read one paper about fluid dynamics today, make it this one about cats.

2 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Until you can buy a bulk pack of cats in the same way one might buy a 12-pack of ketchup bottles at BJ's, I don't think they're food in this context.

      Delete